Sunday, January 23, 2011

Green-minded: Animal Testing in the Cosmetics Industry

Hi!

So, before I say anything, I need you to watch this video first!


Aside from all the beauty and fashion, I consider myself something of a tree hugger and an animal lover. So, I felt that blogging about this is a good way to get the point across.

So, first let's define!

What is animal testing?
  • Basically, animal testing is when companies use animals as test subjects for cosmetics that they are planning to bring to the market.
Why do companies test on animals?
  • They claim that they test on animals for the safety of the consumers. To prove that their products are safe for our use.
  • Companies claim that they HAVE to test on animals but the Food and Drug Administration does not require animal testing.
Isn't animal testing a good thing? If they find that it's safe for animals, then it's definitely safe for us!
  • This question disgusts me. First of all, animal skin isn't the same as human skin. Just like the way certain products react different to you than it does to me. If a product may work well for a rat, that is not a hundred percent guarantee that it will work for humans.
So, if they can't test on animals, does that mean that they're going to release a product without knowing if it's safe for use?
  • There are alternatives to animal testing such as Eytex, Cell and Tissue Cultures, Synthetic Skin, Computer Modeling and Human Studies. Google these if you want to know more. :)
But if you test on humans, wouldn't that be like animal testing, but worse?
  • First of all, you don't just kidnap a person and force cosmetics in his face. There are formalities and contracts involve which shows that the subject is WILLING to undergo the tests which include monetary compensation. The only thing that the animals get after being tested is death. Does that seem fair?
If you have more questions, just comment below and I will try my best to answer.

I am still researching local companies that test on animals but that information is hard to come by.

Instead of giving you a list of companies that test on animals which might overwhelm you, I'll just post a list of companies that do not test on animals.

  • Abercrombie & Fitch
  • Almay (Revlon)
  • Aramis, Inc. (Estée Lauder)
  • Ardell International
  • Aveda
  • Avon
  • Bare Escentuals
  • Bath & Body Works
  • Bobbi Brown (Estée Lauder)
  • The Body Shop
  • Burt's Bees
  • Chanel, Inc.
  • Cinema Secrets
  • AND SOOOO MUCH MORE. Here's a more comprehensive list.

For those who are curious:

If not totally eliminate, I hope you guys even just lessen the amount of products that you buy from companies that test on animals.

Personally, I have been trying to boycott companies that test on animals and it's hard, I know but every time I think of those poor animals who are being deprived their life without having done anything wrong, it sickens me.



Disclaimer: In no way shape or form am I affiliated with the companies and organizations mentioned above. I just feel passionately towards the subject.

7 comments:

Miss Melissa said...

This is incredibly sad and depressing! ):

My-My said...

I'm very glad you wrote this post. I am writing up one similar to this, i just don't know when i'll post it. I know that many will still use animal tested items, but creating an awareness is always the goal. and its really sad to see the overwhelming LARGE list of products that are animal tested. smh.

Michelle said...

@hellomissa: I know!! It's sad too that some people are blissfully unaware of these things. :/

@My-My: Awareness is the best thing for these animals right now. And the HUGE list also makes it ten times harder to boycott animal testing companies!

sugar sugar said...

I don't even want to watch the video because I know it'll break my heart. </3

I always try to buy products from companies that do not test on animals. :)

Michelle said...

@sugar sugar: I know! I couldn't watch it either! And yay! Boycott companies that test on animals!

Lady E said...

thanks for the information. i didn't watch the video though. it will just make me sad

Michelle said...

I didn't watch the video either. It hurts to watch it! :-/